Main entrance through the rock
The Stone Gate
In 1789 this distinctive stone gate with its waterfall and two caves became the entrance to the gardens.
Naturally the distinctive rock face had been seen from the beginning as the most suitable entrance, however it was being used by Joseph Stöcklin, the miller, as pigsty, manure heap and timber yard, and he was unwilling to stop using it. He only did this eventually on the personal command of the Duke-Bishop. Carved into the rock face are the words NATURA AMICIS SUIS, which means NATURE FOR HER FRIENDS. To the left of the inscription flowed a little creek, which was partly visible through the rock and kept flowing openly.