Once part of the old mill
The Gardener's House
In 1814, Conrad von Andlau acquired this building which was then used as the living quarters of the gardener. The gardener had an important role in the Ermitage, he was responsible for the upkeep of the whole garden.
As well as this, the gardener also guided any visitors through the Ermitage and ensured the smooth running of the garden. Among other duties, he saw to it that there were always candles ready to be lit in the grottos. The building received a new Mansard roof and a second storey between 1814 and 1839. In addition it received a wooden turret with a small bell. The crest on the lintel above the door with the initials H. L. belongs to the family of the miller Hans Leuthardt, Duke of Beinwil, as the mill was part of his fiefdom.