Once a selling point for souvenir paintings
The Forest Cottages - Oil Mill and Gunsmiths
At the time of the opening of the Ermitage, a landscape painter worked in the gunsmith, from whom it was possible to buy paintings of various scenes around the Ermitage.
In 1786 the forest cottages - the oil mill, later a plaster mill, and gunsmith - were incorporated into the Ermitage. At this time the painter Johan Baptist Stuntz lived and worked in the gunsmiths, selling paintings of the Ermitage. Scenes like those he painted had a wide audience around Europe, as they allowed anyone to see pictures of the famous gardens around Europe, even if they did not travel there themselves. In 1810 Conrad von Andlau bought both buildings and replaced the old oil mill with a new building for a new oil mill and tobacco production building. The gunsmith was replaced with the current residential building in 1914.