The bath of the goddess
The Diana Grotto
On the back wall of this crevice there is a bench carved out of the stone. The Grotto is dedicated to Diana, the Roman goddess of the hunt.
Because the grotto sometimes fills partially with water, it is also named the bath of Diana - a name it received after the maintenance and reconstruction works in 1812. During the revolutionary upheavals between 1790 and 1793, the grotto was known as the Grotto of Fatality, reflecting the dramatic circumstances of the time. From here, there was a direct view onto the battlefield of the Battle of Dornach, in the direction of the modern Goetheanum. The chiselled inscription '1499' commemorates the year of the bloody confrontation.